To understand the importance of First Aid in Mental Health, we can start with two activities-
1. Make a list of the activities you perform to take care of your physical health.
2. Now make a list of the activities you perform to take care of your mental health.
What is Mental Health?
Mental health means presence of well-being and absence of illness. Read More…
Mental health statistics in India
According to a study conducted by National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS) from 2014 to 2016.
1. 10% of populaation suffers from common mental disorders.
2. 1.9% suffer from severe mental health disorders.
3. 13.7% of Indian Population will least once in their lifetime be diagnosed with a mental disorder.
What is First Aid?
What is First Aid in Mental Health?
Why First Aid in Mental Health is required?
1. Stigma associated with mental illness.
3. People do not always know how to respond
4. People with mental illness do not always seek help
ALGEE Action Plan for Mental Health First Aid (MHFA).
The MHFA course was originally developed by Betty Kitchener, a registered nurse specializing in mental health education and Anthony Jorm (2001) a professor of psychology in Australia.
Mental Health First Aid( MHFA) is an internationally recognized training programe designed to teach people how to identify the signs and symptoms of mental health and provide assistance on a first aid basis.
Like first-aid kit can help you respond effectively to common injuries and emergencies; ALGEE Action Plan help you respond effectively in mental health injury.
Like they suggest Keep at least one first-aid kit in your home and one in your car; keep at least one person in a family, every teacher, every counselor should be trained for First Aid in Mental health i.e. ALGEE Action Plan.
Like the successful D.R.A.B.C Action Plan for emergency medical first aid, the MHFA Training and Research program uses the ALGEE Action Plan.
ALGEE Plan is to teach members of the public how to assist individuals with mental health problems to manage symptoms and seek appropriate help.
The MHFA Action Plan has five steps, which can be used in any order.
ALGEE Stands for
1) Approaching, assessing and assisting :-
2) Listening non-judgmentally
3) Give support and information
4) Encourage to get professional help
5) Encourage self help and other support strategies
1. A – Approach, assess for risk of suicide or harm.
Try to find a suitable time or place to start the conversation with the person, keeping their privacy and confidentiality in mind. If the person does not want to confide in you, encourage them to talk to someone they trust.
2. L – Listen nonjudgmentally.
Many people experiencing a challenge or distress want to be heard first, so let the person share without interrupting them. Try to have empathy for their situation. You can get the conversation started by saying something like, “I noticed that …” Try to be accepting, even if you don’t agree with what they are saying.
3. G – Give reassurance and information.
After someone has shared their experiences and emotions with you, be ready to provide hope and useful facts.
4. E – Encourage appropriate professional help.
The earlier someone gets help, the better their chances of recovery. So, it’s important to offer to help this person learn more about the options available to them.
5. E – Encourage self-help and other support strategies.
This includes helping them identify their support network, programs within the community, and creating a personalized emotional and physical self-care plan.
Training of Mental Health First Aid(MHFA)
- Mental Health First Aid India, 31A, Cathedral Garden Rd, Badrikari, Tirumurthy Nagar, Nungambakkam, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600034 7397383004 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mental Health First Aid USA
- Mental Health First Aid Australia